Thursday, May 16, 2013

Needle and ThREAD #23

It's that time again - Sari Bari Quilt Auction sewing time.  Last year was my first year to participate in sewing for the auction and I'm excited to be making a quilt again this year.  

The sarees arrived last Friday and I have to say that it was not love at first sight like last year.  My quilting buddies and I had chosen a set of sarees from a photograph, but what we received did not resemble the picture at all.  Too dark, too much of the same scale in patterns, colors that seemed dull.

After washing the fabrics several times to remove the heavy starch that is applied to them at the factory in India, and after spreading them out and looking at the pattern variations within each saree, I'm seeing more possibilities. 

I'm also quite encouraged by my quilting buddies, two of whom are artists.  We've talked about how limitations often spur creativity more than abundance.  We're imagining, looking at quilt patterns, and looking forward to playing with these fabrics to see what develops.  

We will probably not use all of the fabrics we received - or at least not use them all in one quilt.  Perhaps, in this batch of sarees there are two or three quilts that will be very different from each other. 





I do LOVE the green saree above, my very favorite in the whole bunch.  I want to make a sundress out of it and since the saree is about 9 yards of fabric, there's plenty of fabric for that!

If you are interested in learning more about Sari Bari or seeing the quilts from last year, go here and here.

I finally finished a couple of books.

Outcasts United by Warren St. John is the story of a refugee soccer program in Clarkston, Georgia started by Luma Mufleh, a young Jordanian woman, who was herself, an outcast from her own family because of her decision not to return to Jordan after college in the US.  Her gritty dedication to the refugee boys she coached and her love for their families is encouragement and inspiration to anyone who works with refugees. For anyone who knows little about the plight of refugees from around the world who arrive in the US seeking peace and security, it is an eye opening story.  We've had this book for awhile and I've been meaning to read it.  So, so glad Kandyce urged me to do it right away!

My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse is just fun to read.  Dry British humor.  Who doesn't love the always impeccable, always tasteful, always able to get Bertie out of a scrape butler, Jeeves.

The Art of Tasha Tudor by Harry Davis is an insider's look at the life and work of one of my favorite illustrators.  I enjoyed learning more about Tudor and the development of her art and its interconnection with her life.

I've got a few other books going including 52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect Crust, recommended by my friend, Amber.  I laughed out loud last night when I read this chapter heading quote:
"How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?"   - Julia Child
Alrighty ... time to go fold sarees, water the garden, and then go out to breakfast with my boy.  His Mother's Day gift to me.  I'm pretty sure we won't be eating any kleenex tasting bread at Zada Janes!

needle and thREAD

2 comments:

kkp said...

love love LOVVVEe that green one.

can't wait to see mine. squee!

also, love that you've now read outcastes united. :)

Michelle said...

Yep that green one is awesome!! But I bet the quilt turns out great because its amazing what a person can do with fabric and a little creativity. Can't wait to see. Oh, and love the Julia Child quote - that's awesome.