Friday, April 05, 2013

Needle and ThREAD #21

Wow, it's been awhile since I've done a Needle and ThREAD post.  Lots of travel and not much sewing, although Kandyce and I did make 14 canvas bags for her refugee art therapy class to print on while I was in Denver.

Since getting home, I've been trying to finish up some projects.

I was commissioned to make a Bible cover for Peg.  It had been done except for some hand stitching.   Finished that today.



Recognize the sari fabrics from last year?!


I also finished hand sewing the binding on my mom's quilt.  Photo of the complete finished quilt coming soon:


I do love the slowness and quiet of hand sewing.  Work that is conducive to contemplation.

The other exciting sewing news is that it will soon be Sari Bari quilt auction sewing time.  I just sent an email yesterday requesting the saris we will use for this year's quilt.  Excited about that.

As for books, I'm reading a mix of fiction and non-fiction right now:

The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard
The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddarth Mukherjee
My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

and I just added On Beauty and Being Just by Elaine Scarry, from Mako Fujimura's list of his five favorite books on creativity.

So much fabric, so little time.  So many books, so little time.  I could feel frustrated with all I want to sew and read, but I'll forgo the frustration and opt for steady progress, plugging away a bit at a time, day by day.


needle and thREAD



1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Love your book list.
I have not read ALL those books but many. LOVE your letters to Clara.
They are in Big Sky Country!