Friday, April 05, 2013

About that Safari Rally ...

It's likely I will never pull off another April Fools post like last year's.  I had a few of you for a paragraph or two, but after last year, most of you are on to me.  Still ... imagining the Safari Rally and writing about it was pretty good fun and some of it was true.  Coty did say he'd drive a nicer car and I do love Africa and we did see rally cars plowing through mud in Nyeri province in the early '80's.

The truth is ... for now, we are staying put.

I hung a little plate on the wall yesterday.  I bought it at an antique store near Erin's former home in Hoosick Falls, NY (they arrived in Montana yesterday).  The plate has sailboats in a harbor with colorful houses along the shore. People are waving from the boats.  It's a lovely little plate and it makes me smile to see it.



It reminds me that this home is meant to be a safe haven, a harbour, a port ... for the wandering barks, those children and friends that have sailed away and find their way back here from time to time.  I want them to know that they can always come home and when they do, they will find a warm welcome, a strong hug, a cup of tea, a meal.

Coty and I have been the wandering barks in the past - California, Kenya, Massachusetts, Cameroon.  We've gone to the far away places and lived the adventurous life, at times.  Now, when our nest is emptying, we could contemplate doing it again.  But, we sense that this is a time to be the home port.  It's our children's turn to sail away, and for us to be the settled ones and this place to be the fixed mark.

Not that we won't ever travel or perhaps even live abroad again for some period of time.  But for just now, we are quite content to be right here in NC.

Open invitation, folks.  Come visit Port Pinckney.  We promise porchtime and colorful meals.  Standard fare, here.




1 comment:

Kathie said...

I love that plate too!! It tells a story.

You had me for a line or two in the April 1st post but then I remembered the date :)