Thursday, January 31, 2013

Needle and thREAD #20

Well, I've been a little under the weather for the last couple of days so I've stayed home and inside. I've been drinking copious quantities of tea, reading, sewing, and watching British shows - Downton, Season 2 (again!), Miss Marple, and Rosemary and Thyme.  When I watch British shows, I want my tea done properly, steeped in a teapot. There's something quite nice about a teapot.

In Miss Marple, everyone drinks cocoa before going to bed.  The cocoa, however, is quite often the place where the poison is slipped in.  Right.  I'm sticking to tea.

Anyway, on to the sewing.  I am getting to know my new machine.



I finished the valances and hung them.  I love them.  I love the curtain rod branches, but I must say, the hardest thing about these valances was getting them straight.  The branches curve so the tabs had to be different lengths. I climbed up on a chair and pinned them and down and looked at them, and back up and repinned, and down to check the alignment, and back up to repin and ... well, you get the idea.  I finally decided that it didn't matter terribly to me whether or not they were perfectly straight and level and let it go at that.  They're done.


Last week, Janine asked the name of the fabric I had used in "bird bag."  It is the same that is in my valances, only in a different colorway.  With the info on the selvage, I tracked it down.  It's a KAS Richloom fabric called Orbison.  The colorways in the link are different than the two that I have.  I bought the fabric used in the first bag at Tony's last year and fabric in the valances and this little bag below at Mary Jo's just a few weeks ago.  They are home decor weight fabrics.

I really like this little bird.  It makes me think of Lisa, because she had this fabric in Bolivia!


I've read for longer stretches of time the last couple of days, as well, and finally finished Anna Karenina.  So, now I can start something new!  Haven't decided what it will be yet.  Since I've still got three non-fiction books going, it will definitely be fiction.  Any suggestions?


needle and thREAD

2 comments:

Elizabeth Foss said...

Oh. my. goodness! I so love the twig curtain rods:-) Just so perfect. :-)

Bonnie said...

So pretty and cheerful.
So good to see you Monday.
My soul was stilled by the sacredness. I seemed to have been starving for beauty and didn't know it. Deeply moved.