Thursday, January 24, 2013

Needle and ThREAD #19

Well, I had a productive sewing day last Saturday.  It was the first Saturday in a while that there wasn't a wedding or event of some kind so it was very, very nice to have the day stretching out before me with no commitments and a bunch of fabric to play with!

I finished the borders on my mom's 80th birthday quilt:


I sewed three infinity scarves with fabric I'd either been given, had stashed forever, or picked up for a song on the sale table at the Hancock's.

I made two iPad totes.  My sister requested not a case or a sleeve for her new iPad, but a tote.  With handles.  So, I got the measurements and played around.  She chose this one.  It is slightly larger than her iPad, has an inner pocket, handles that just slip over her shoulder but don't drag if she carries in in her hand, a velcro closure for the flap, and is quilted with a thin poly/cotton batting


Here's the other one.  I love this fabric.  You'll be seeing more of it in a different colorway.  This one fits the iPad nice and snug, has snap closures on the flap and a couple of antique buttons.  The lining is Kona cotton, can't remember the color (wheat or khaki, maybe).


That was Saturday.

Since then, I've been working on my studio valances and I'm determined to finish them today!

Reading ...

I'm reading the same books.  I'm going slowly. I know.  But I am determined to finish books this year and not start too many new ones before I'm done with the old ones.

I did read once through The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot in anticipation of this event next week, which I will attend with my good friend, Amber.   I really need to read it several more times, I'm sure, in order to get the most out of this collaboration of composer and artists.  I've never been to anything quite like this opening lecture and performance.  I'm excited.

That's it.  Time to sew!

needle and thREAD








4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hope to see you at Duke!
Excited too.

Kathie said...

Such a pretty quilt and lovely ipad totes Beth!

Isn't it lovely to have a day stretch wide open in front of you? I have one of those today and I'm planning to tackle Ch 7.

xo

Jeannine said...

Someone at Elizabeth's said you had used bird fabric, so I had to come over to see! All of your creations are charming. The quilt for your mother is particularly touching.

Laura A said...

That last bag (the bird one) looks quite Orla Kiely! http://www3.orlakiely.com