Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pinned, not sewn

A little tutorial for a wreath you can do in a jiffy.  You too, Kathie, can do this!

I used a straw wreath form.  These are very inexpensive.  $3-$5 depending on the size.  I had lots of fabric scraps in my stash and corsage pins leftover from a long-ago wedding.

1. Measure around the wreath and add an inch and a half to this measurement to overlap your fabric scraps and turn under the edge.


2.  Cut fabric strips the length that you determined.  You can vary the widths if you like.  I cut mine 2 1/2 inches.

3.  Fold the strips in half lengthwise and press.

4.  Now just start wrapping the strips around your wreath.  Pull the strips tightly, overlap about a half inch, turn under the raw edge, and pin to secure.  I  wrapped 3 to 5 of one fabric and then changed to another fabric.  With some fabrics, you may want to just wrap one strip as an accent.  You might notice the bird fabrics on this wreath are used in this way.  When pinning, it looks nicer to vary the placement of your pins so that they are not in a line so you will vary where you overlap the strips.  Does this make sense?  It will.  Just do it.


5.  Wrap and pin, wrap and pin til your wreath is covered.



6.  I embellished the wreath by wrapping it with some rick rack and lace scraps that I had.  Little fabric flowers or an arrangement with vintage buttons would be nice, too.

For this season, I love the way the red pops on my new blue door.  I'll be wrapping another wreath with different fabrics when spring comes around.


1 comment:

Ash said...

I absolutely love this idea. I will be making an Easter one in the Spring. http://emergencefromthechrysalis.blogspot.com/