Monday, November 26, 2012

Back to the pool


I haven't gone to swim for about three weeks.  Back in the pool this morning at a time I've never been before.  8 AM.  The sun streamed through the large windows on the east side of the building and rainbows rippled on the pool bottom.  It was wonderful.  I am so thankful for access to such a nice facility at such a low cost.  I met a seasoned woman triathlete and plied her with questions.  I found out about where to practice open water swimming come spring.

See that lane number.  I always swim in lane 8.  I don't know why.  If it's occupied, I jump in, splash around and make a ruckus til the swimmer moves to another lane.  No, no, no.  I don't do that.  Just kidding. (*wink, here*)   I pick another lane which I did this morning.  It was lane 2 which was sun splashed and lovely.

Yesterday we sang ...

You're rich in love and You're slow to anger,
Your name is great and Your heart is kind.
For all your goodness, I will keep on singing;
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find.
                                                        -Jonas Myrin and Matt Redman (2011)

In her book, Gilead, Marilynne Robinson wrote ...
"There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient." 

My friend, Ann, says ...
"Joy is the realest reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped.  God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given;  joy."   One Thousand Gifts

About a year ago, I stopped counting.  I don't know why.  I just didn't do it and the days of not chronicling my thanks added one upon another and now a whole year has flashed by.  I think it's time to start again, picking right up where I left off ...

2140.  This morning's swim
2141.  Rainbow ripples on the pool floor
2142.  Locker room conversations
2143.  The fragrance of oak leaves
2144.  Time with my family, parents, sister and her family, and a few of us.
2145.  A room of my own
2146.  A thoughtful comment and book suggestion
2147.  A new quilter and her beautiful new quilt in the works
2148.  Soaked steel cut oats - my usual breakfast
2149.  Congregational singing with instruments soft enough to hear the voices of people all around me.
2150.  An old piece of furniture, getting a new life in the new room.
2151.  Cloudless Carolina blue sky
2152.  Country road bike ride
2153.  Walking buddies
2154.  Skype conversations with four kids, plus ... far away on Thanksgiving day.
2155.  Work for this day, lots of it outside ...
2156.  Lots to learn
2157.  Turkey stock made the house smell delicious yesterday.
2158.  Today, soup.
2159.  Clean gray floor.
2160.  Stars from India.













2 comments:

Kathie said...

We're singing 10,000 Reasons up here too Beth - it's my new favourite.

Gorgeous pool!

And a lovely list!

xoxo

Susan said...

Your gratitude list start me being thankful for a long list of things. Thanks for that inspiration. Sweet things on your list for sure, Beth! And your sewing room is coming along beautifully!

Susan