Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tri-training: Into the 8 group

This last week of training, Coty's had some very specific workouts for me, focusing on speed and race pace.  

Yesterday was a cycling workout.  2 miles repeated 4 times, with a couple of minutes of rest in between.  It's the fastest I've ever pedaled.  I hope I can do it in the race.

Today was a pool workout.  Coty joined me at the aquatics center so he could time me over the race distance.  I was shooting for a 5 or sub-5 time.  And ...  I got it!   Swimming hard all the way to come in at 4:57.  That puts me into the 8 starting group and will hopefully mean that I will finish and get to hug my sweetheart/coach before he jets off to Indonesia!

Tomorrow is a running workout.  On Sunday, we had friends over.  Coty and I were talking training.

Coty said, "When you run next time, there is something specific I want you to do." 
I asked, "What specific thing do you want me to do?" 
Albert quipped, "Run faster." 
Thanks, Albert.  Got it.  I'll try my best.  That ended the conversation and I never did find out exactly what the running workout will be.  I'll tell you when it's over.

I am feeling good about each discipline of the triathlon right now.  I have a good swim time, a pretty good cycling time, and a not-bad-for-a-54-year-old-Gramma running time.  What is worrying me a little bit is how I am going to put three good times together in a row.  Maybe the adrenaline and excitement that morning will help.  I really don't know.  I've never, ever done anything like this before and the whole race mentality is a little bit of a mystery to me.  I am not naturally a very competitive person.   So, we'll see.  I vacillate between being excited and being scared.  Is this how people normally feel before a race?



5 comments:

kkp said...

you're a rockstar. if i didn't drown during the swim, i'd die during the run. i'm sure of it.

i always, always felt nervous before a cross country meet. i have no idea why- i wasn't ever a varsity runner (i could have been but that's a different story), and for CC all the spectators watch a bunch of people take off like maniacs into the woods and emerge half an hour later all sweaty and gross and covered in mud. i never could figure out why it always felt like such a big deal?

Beth said...

Thanks, Kandyce. At this point, I'm feeling pretty confident I won't drown, but I may die in the run. We shall see!

Luke said...

Yes, that is exactly how I felt before most races and every horse show - excited, scared, or both at the same time!

You are amazing! I just wish we could be there to watch you.

When I used to be nervous before a race I remember Daddy used to tell me, "Why are you nervous? You don't need to be nervous. You have trained hard and you will be fine."

For some reason I resented that a bit, maybe I felt it was discounting my nervous feelings? However, that's exactly what I want to say to you! :) It's fine to feel nervous, just channel that into focus. And know that you have trained hard, you are ready and you will do great!

Erin said...

Uh, so, that last comment was definitely me and not Luke. ;)

Kathie said...

I think a little nervousness will be good - it will give you some added energy. Hope you'll be able to hear me cheering from PEI!