Thursday, September 20, 2012

Needle and ThREAD #15: Slowly growing stack of squares

I haven't been doing as much sewing recently as I'd like to.  So much going on with travel to the wedding, triathlon training, soccer season, and well ... just life.

But, the stack of half-triangle squares continues to grow.  I am loving these fabrics and can't wait to get to the point where I can start laying them out in squares and rows and see it all come together.


Also on the sewing table is the fun textured canvas fabric in a print and colors I love.  I found it on the super-duper clearance table at Hancock Fabrics the other day when I went in for more Kona cotton in the natural I'm using for the quilt.


At a buck and a half a yard, it was shouting my name. I think it will become the small grab-and-go purse and larger zippered tote I've been thinking about. We'll see.   First, there is this little triathlon sewing job ...


My plain white cap needs a little dash of color, don't you think?  I'm seeing just a band of this favorite fabric across the bottom of the cap.  Maybe it will make me run faster!

Finally, on the sewing front, if you are regular reader of this blog, you will know about the excitement around here the other day when the video of the sari quilts for the Sari Bari auction came out, and the delight in seeing our group's bio up on the Sari Bari blog early this week.  It has been a real joy to see this project go from the first email Kandyce sent telling me about the call for quilters, through receiving the saris, gathering a group to make a quilt, choosing the design, cutting, sewing, quilting, and finally sending our quilts off in the mail.  And now, there is eager anticipation as we wait for the auction to start!

What about reading ...

I came home with a quilting tome from the library the other day.  The Quilter's Resource Book: The definitive book on quiltmaking traditions from around the world by Maggi McCormich Gordon is a rich treasure of photographs of quilts, old and new; patterns, traditional and modern; quiltmaking stories, historical and recent; designs, uniquely American and international.  It's quite a book and I am slowly, very slowly working my way through it.

I also picked up Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.  It's been a very long time since I read this book and it deserves a re-read before a new version of the movie comes out in October.

I'm also continuing, along with friends, to mine the treasures in The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard.

OK, off the computer now and over to the sewing table for a bit ... and maybe some time to read this afternoon while I wait on the sidelines for Joel's soccer game to start.  Never bored, friends.  Never, ever bored!

needle and thREAD

No comments: