Thursday, August 23, 2012

Needle and ThREAD #13: Tagged, bagged, and on their way!

The sari quilts are finished.  This morning, I finished the name labels, sewed them onto the backs of the quilts, spread them out to look at one last time, folded and packed them up, and sent them on their way!  I felt oddly sad to see them go, though I expect when I see them online in the Sari Bari auction, the sadness will pass.


detail of the quilting on the back side of the Sari Swirl quilt, contrasted with part of the front



The Diamond Quilt - hard to get a picture of the whole thing,
it's so big!


simple hand-stitched tags sewn onto the backs of both quilts


double bagged and ready to go in the box

It's just funny.  You work on something for a long while, getting to know the fabric - how it feels, how it looks, the way it absorbs and reflects light, the gradations of color, the irregularities in the prints (with Indian fabrics, especially!).  You spend your time and creative energies, you put some of yourself into every stitch and end up with a finished quilt and it feels quite special ... and very hard to part with!

I'll let you know when the Sari Bari quilt auction goes online.

As for reading ...

I'm still plugging away in some of the books I mentioned before, especially Closing the Food Gap.

Also starting to read The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard.

Happy Thursday!

needle and thREAD

2 comments:

cynthia said...

Wow! You made 2??!! I started late and only had time for a baby quilt! I also had a hard time letting go of mine! I can't wait to see all the different quilt designs.
Here's a link to mine: http://apatchofshade.blogspot.com/2012/08/sari-quilt-finished.html?showComment=1345905708763#c8648967907890096105
Thanks for sharing the photos!
p.s. I'm originally from Raleigh!!
Cynthia

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous quilt!
Way to go with that and the triathalon training!