Thursday, August 16, 2012

Needle and ThREAD #12: Quilt Binding


No more new sewing projects until this gets finished!

I've finished hand-stitching around three sides of this 90 x 90 quilt.  It's big, folks!  Lots of little stitches, which means lots of sitting.

I have another large quilt for which I must make and sew on the binding. These quilts will be mailed off early next week and not too long after that, I'll have details to share with you about the Sari Bari quilt auction, which will include these two quilts, plus the beautiful one Kandyce has made, and more.

All this hand-sewing means not much reading, but a lot of watching and listening.  So, instead of books, how about a few links to the online viewing I've been doing ...

Tentmakers in Cairo - artisans who are not what we would think of as tent makers, but makers of beautiful, intricate appliqued wall hangings.  


Part 1 of The Story of India

and yes, a West Wing or two ...

I have some other podcasts and an audiobook in the queue.  I'd like to watch something else about India.  Any suggestions?

What do you do when you're sitting still hand-sewing for a long time?


needle and thREAD


4 comments:

kkp said...

i'm listening to a lot of podcasts- this american life, wait wait, radio lab and one non NPR one called 'stuff you missed in history class.' between my quilt and 150 crepe paper flowers for a friend's wedding next weekend, i've spent much of my freetime inside lately!

also, jonathan reads books aloud (wonder where he gets that from? :)) we just finished 'ladies and gentlemen, the bible.'

Kelly Keller said...

Honestly, I usually nod off when I'm hand sewing! hahaha

the momma said...

the quilting on that quilt is gorgeous!
I always feel like I SHOULD be listening to something while I hand stitch, so as not to 'waste any time', but never know what to listen to....

Ana Sullivan said...

My daughter likes to "listen" to books when there are different accents involved; these can be difficult to read. My suggestions are "The Help" and "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."
www.TheLostApron.com