Saturday, July 07, 2012

Tri-training: There's a LOT to learn

The other day I told you some of the things I'm learning.  Some are essential things to know to train well for a triathlon, others were, obviously, a little tongue-in-cheek.

Yesterday, I learned something revolutionary (for me) about swimming.  All of you real swimmers can snicker here, because this, apparently, is really basic, but I was never coached as a swimmer so I'd never heard of this before.  I spent summers at the pool as a kid and loved swimming for fun.  I'm not a bad swimmer, but I didn't really know anything about technique ... until last night.

So, last night, we had a poolside picnic and our friend, Peg, who swam competitively at Clemson, helped me.  After watching me for one lap, her first tip was that I need to work on body roll in the water- rotating my torso and hips.  Check this out if you want to know what that means.

I tried rolling more for a few laps and though it felt awkward at first, I immediately noticed how much easier it makes bilateral breathing.  I don't do bilateral breathing right now, so I'm sure I am what this swim site I keep linking to calls a "crabby" swimmer.

Now I have two techniques to work on.  There is plenty more to learn.  Like catch and pull, kick technique to save leg effort for the biking and running, and breathing into the pocket.

Peg and her adorable water-baby, Karis

Some of you have asked what I mean by an interval workout.  I did an running interval workout this morning and I'll tell you more about the running and cycling intervals next week.  For now, it's time to get on my suit and goggles and get out there and reach and roll in the water!





1 comment:

Peg said...

so glad it was helpful Beth! we had a really great time last night, thanks for all the yummy food!