Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tri-training: Running

Remember how I said at the end of that post the other day that I was starting not to hate running.  After today's workout, I take it all back.

This morning, I went out to run 3 miles.  OK, I know I can do that. Coty told me to throw in some *quick-legs and from time to time pick out a landmark (a driveway, mailbox, or tree) and run a bit faster til I got there.  Informal intervals.  OK, I can do that, too.

Wrong!  At least for today.  I don't know if it's the heat or that I didn't eat enough for breakfast or that the music on my mP3 player wasn't driving enough, but honestly, I felt like I was going to die, right there in the middle of the road.  Good thing the vultures weren't around today.

This third discipline of the triathlon is going to be the hardest one for me.  I know I can go the distance.  It's not that.  It's just that I'd like to do it in a good time and not feel like I'm going to collapse at the end.  I know it will take more workouts like today.  I'm thinking maybe I'd do better if I went to the park and ran where it's flat and had someone there to run with me.  Or perhaps, I need Coty back out there on the bike, riding along beside me calling out times and dumping water on my head to revive me!

I guess everybody has a terrible workout from time to time.  I just thought that after Monday's brick workout, today's 3 miles would feel better.

One thing I was thinking while I "ran" was that I admire more than ever the mental toughness that running requires.  I aspire to develop that "push it to the end" attitude.  I've felt it at times, even a bit today on some of the earlier intervals, when I wanted to stop before I reached my landmark but made myself keep going.

At least, I'm telling myself, I did the distance.  It was slow and it wasn't pretty, but the running is done for the day and the pool workout this afternoon will feel mighty nice on a day like today with the heat index up near 105!


*Quick legs is the name of a speed drill.  You alternate pushing off right and left legs with a sprint motion, jog a couple of steps and push off again.  It helps to get a better foot plant for running and get your knees up.  I am a slow-legged plodder, so I need this drill!

2 comments:

Lindele said...

Beth, go read a couple of blog posts by Stephen and Mark Altrogge at theblazingcenter.com - Stephen's is called Confessions of a Sort of Marathoner (no short shorts!) dated July 24, and Mark's is Dead Man Jogging dated July 22.

Beth said...

Thanks for the tip, Lindele. They both really made me laugh!