Thursday, July 26, 2012

Needle and ThREAD #9: Finished knapsacks

Well, sewing those knapsacks last week was a lot of fun.  They turned out just as Laura was hoping.  We made the second one a little larger and made sure that a water bottle would fit in the side pocket since it's the one Laura will use for day hikes when she goes out backpacking.  Have a look:


The knapsack is self-stuffing into the pocket on the front so it makes a nice little bundle to stick into the backpack, ready to pull out for day hike use.


Nice big side pocket.  The closure cord will get small cord locks which Laura had at home.


All stuffed.  That bright green bag will never get lost in the woods!


Both finished bags are made of a tough but soft nylon fabric from Mary Jo's.

This week, I'm working on sewing some tote bags.  No pictures yet.  I've also got silk fabric from Sasha to make pocket squares for the men to wear in the wedding.  All the tutorials I've read say to hand sew a rolled hem, so I'll be working on those in the next few days.

Finally, we go to pick up the quilts today!  They are all done - the quilting finished soooo much sooner than I expected, and I can't wait to see them.  We have to work on the bindings for them, so that's more hand sewing coming up.  

I did pick up that stack of quilting books from the library last week, including:

Memorabilia Quilts by Rita Weiss and Linda Causee, because there's a t-shirt quilt to be made sometime this year.

Quilting for Peace by Katherine Bell

Simplify: Quilts for the Modern Home by Camille Roskelley

I'm not reading every word in these books, but enjoying browsing and getting ideas.  There are a number of other quilt books I'd still like to get my hands on.  Sadly, the supply was a little limited at the library branch nearest me, but I'm going over toward the branch where the Charlotte Modern Quilt Guild meets next week and hoping to find a few more that I've had my eye on.

Also, still reading and learning from The Woman Triathlete, and dipped into The Blue Castle this week.  I'm reading that one with friends and don't want to get too far ahead, but it's drawing me in!

That's all for now.  Happy Thursday, friends!

1 comment:

MooMama said...

I absolutely love your bags!