Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pour a cup of tea ...

Go outside. Take a break. Sit down. Watch. Listen. Breathe.  Pray.

We are not meant to go and go and go and go and go.  For 49 days now, in the quiet before dawn or the bird-song filled early morning, I have sat outside.  I am learning to be still and attentive.  I do not want to start a day now without these moments of quiet inactivity.


It was a book title that got me going.  A little book called God in the Yard by L.L. Barkat.  I haven't finished reading it and I'm not even sure if I like the book yet or not.  I'm just going slowly, chewing, and gleaning.  One thing I know, though, is that for many reasons, I needed to carve out this space.   




 "Be still and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
Psalm 46:10


2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Let us ( me) know what you think of God in the Yard.

Scotty and Lisa said...

I just recently read that verse and was particularly struck by the seeming chaos that is talked about in the first part of this chapter before this command to be still. It has been something I've mulled over as I think about the soon to be chaos, or at least tiredness, that will be taking over our lives for a season when we welcome our new daughter. I'm so glad you've put to effect this discipline in your life and are gleaning from it.