Thursday, February 09, 2012

Moonset and Sunrise

Every morning since the first of January, I have come downstairs, made a mug of coffee or tea, pulled on a warm coat and hat, and gone outside to sit.  For as long as it takes to finish my hot drink, I sit.  Quiet.  Still. No books.  No journal.  Just my mug and me and the morning.

I've been getting to know which birds sing first and where they live, what the phase of the moon is and where I can expect to see it in the sky, when the school bus drives by, when my neighbor backs down his long driveway, where the squirrels nest (the hole in the tall poplar), whether the day will be damp or dry, cloudy or clear.  I've listened to the chorus frogs croaking very early this year, felt the rain on my face, and watched the light grow in the eastern sky.  I know my little acre and it's surroundings far better now than I ever have before.

This morning when I stepped onto the deck, mug in hand, a quilt over my arm, I saw the moon so, so bright. It's the first time I've seen it for a couple of weeks.  It had waned and waxed and is waning again.  For the last couple of week it had moved from the bit of sky I see in the morning.  And then, today, I was up and out in time to see it again... just past full and bright and beautiful.  I turned my chair to watch it set as behind me the sun began to rise.  Moonset and sunrise.  That's a good way to start the day.



And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night.  And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth." And it was so.             


No comments: