Wednesday, February 08, 2012

I promised cow eyes ...

But first, something beautiful ...


This was the sunset last night.  Swathes of pink brushed across the sky.  I had to step outside and watch it for a little while as the soup cooked.

Now, on to the cow eyes...


 My students are very good sports.  These dissections can be messy and a little gross for the faint of heart.  I had a few faint hearts at the beginning of the year, but by and large, my students now have nerves of steel.  Cutting open an eyeball - no big deal.  Except that the sclera on a cow eye is very tough and not easy to cut.  But they succeeded and everybody identified the iris, lens, vitreous humour, retina, choroid, optic nerve and tapetum (scroll down on the linked page to see this from the cow's eye.  It's very pretty. Sort of like mother of pearl.  Who knew?  Actually, I did because I'm an old pro at cow's eyes, but it was rather pleasantly surprising for my students).


They peeled off the iris.  Yea!  That's a cow iris above.  The hole is the pupil.  You knew that, right.


I always make my students clean up at the end.  Extra credit if they wash the dirty breakfast dishes.

OK, enough of that. How about something else pretty ...


There's a new quilt in the making.  It was a Christmas gift - a present with the promise.  I gave Jenn the fabrics and told her I'd make her a quilt.  It will be a smallish quilt - more like a wrapping-up-while-you- read-in-a-comfy-chair-and-drink-tea-quilt than a bed quilt.  The pattern is a modified Chinese Coin pattern.


I love having that big table in the middle of my workspace.  And I love being able to leave fabric spread out on it so that I can come and piece little sections at a time when I have breaks in my day.


Strips in the works are hung from a piece of yarn hung across the window.  Back lit, I know. One of these days maybe I'll make a design wall.  These strips are looking more "Christmas-y red and green" than I wanted, but I'm thinking if I use a darker color, like maybe a chocolaty brown for the sashing, that will tone it down and make it rich.  We'll see.  For now, I'm enjoying watching these strips grow.

4 comments:

Scotty and Lisa said...

Somehow, seeing cow eyes being pulled apart on that table where I've eaten so many delicious meals just doesn't seem right. :)

Beth said...

Don't worry, Lisa. I use a plastic tablecloth that is ONLY for science class, scrub down afterwards, and clean the sink well. No, dissection leftovers. It's safe.

Bonnie said...

Even passing an abandoned cow pasture near our house, Emma said "I won't look at a cow in the same way again!" Luke was in the car and laughed. They will never forget the labs in your kitchen and will have stories for the next generation!

podso said...

Dissecting cow eyes is a favorite memory from our homeschool years. I won't ever forget the beautiful colors of the retina or how God made the eye to let us see. Years later my mother had a melanoma on her retina. Those cow eyes helped me to understand.

But it was a bit eery to defrost them in a colander . They all seemed to be looking at me!!