Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A song for the year

This year, 2012 has a word. It has a song, too.

I'm camping out, phrase by phrase, in the words of an old favorite, Come Thou Fount of  Every Blessing.


My sweet friend, Carla, pasted a page from an old hymnal with the words and music to this hymn on the inside of a beautiful paper covered journal she gave me, this year's journal for my morning scribblings.  I read the words each day and turn them over and over,  a phrase at a time, like this:

"Come thou fount of every blessing ..."
Would you be near to me - Father God, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit - You, the giver of all good gifts, the ever flowing fountain that drenches and quenches out of your abundance, giving every good, every benefit, every blessing.  Would you come ...
And that's just the first phrase. So rich.

Do you have a favorite hymn?  One with true, beautiful, biblical words and a tune you know well.  Have you read it carefully, considered the words, prayed it as you've sung?  Might you consider learning all the words of a favorite hymn or song and making them your own this year.   I'd love to know if you do.


5 comments:

Bonnie said...

We have singers in our house who are in choirs and that MAKES them learn all the words. My husband sings all the time! Plus we sing every Thursday in Humanities class. But I do have a few I want to know all the words like "Lift High the Cross" so that I can really sing it all the way through without a hymnal!

Heidi said...

I have been mulling over "O God Beyond All Praising". I think I'll take your idea and make it mine for the year, praying it as I go. Thank you.

podso said...

I came here via Bonnie's blog, attracted to the name of your blog. I see we have many, many things in common, not the least being Ebenezer which was my mother's family's motto. Every extended family photo included a sign Ebenezer, and a stained glass window in the family home also beautifully and simply said Ebenezer. My great grandfather used to say it meant to him, Hitherto has the Lord "done it all."

So nice to visit your blog and see Come Thou Fount today, a favorite.

Lindele said...

Hey Beth,

I just recently started a new topic in Sunday School - I'm going through hymns. Using Colossians 3:16 (in that we are to be teaching and admonishing one another through the songs we sing) I'm trying to focus on what Scripture is taught in each hymn. So far we've done Great Is Thy Faithfulness, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, It Is Well, and today we did A Mighty Fortress. I have REALLY enjoyed it and several times some of the ladies have said that they have been blessed. Come Thou Fount is on my list, too, and is one of my favorites. Also There Is a Fountain, The Solid Rock, and a new one, In Christ Alone.

Do you have the fourth verse of Come Thou Fount? The original is on cyberhymnal (along with some other variations on the verses we are familiar with), and Bob Kauflin wrote an adaptation of it that we sing:

Oh that day when, freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face!
Full arrayed in blood-washed linen,
How I'll sing Thy sovereign grace!
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Bring Thy promises to pass!
For I know Thy power will keep me
Till I'm home with Thee at last!

Carla said...

So thankful and happy that both the journal and the hymn are blessing you! That blesses me! Love you!