Monday, October 31, 2011

Part 1: Soccer never ends...

...but right now, that's OK, because when it is the passion of your last child at home, you really quite enjoy being immersed in it.  At least, I do.

I know all of my other children may be thinking ... You didn't let ME play club sports.  You didn't spend that much time with MY college search.  You didn't go to that many of MY games. You didn't buy ME Sonic drinks at Happy Hour.  True. True. True. True.

But then, back then there were more of you.  My attentions were divided.  There was cross-country and horseback riding and theatre and basketball and piano and cello and guitar and football and orchestra and more theatre and soccer and well, we had to eat sometime, too.  With six, then five, then four, then three, then two at home ... well, a mom just can't do it all, can she?

I was so far outnumbered.  Six of you.  One of me.  My time was carved up into little tiny pieces.  So, no, you probably didn't get as much attention, my dear older children.  But I think you turned out pretty well, even without strawberry limeades.

You must also remember, that back then, when Joel was a baby and then a cute little kid, he, too, was outnumbered and outranked by all of YOU!  He didn't have a chance to get his way or whine.  He couldn't get away with ANYTHING.  Because YOU wouldn't let him.  And that was probably good for him.

But, now that you are all gone from home, I guess it's his turn for a little attention.



to be continued...


3 comments:

Erin said...

And this is one of the reasons thinking about more kids, our eventual family size, etc is so hard for me. As much as I loved being part of a big family and can see the benefits of it, I also see the drawbacks and am not sure how I feel about that in light of our future family... oy. My optimizing tendencies are straining to their nth degree.

Elizabeth Foss said...

I wonder about this, as I read Erin's comment. I have nine children. My oldest is 23 and my youngest turned 3 yesterday. I see so clearly what Beth is saying. And I hear Erin and wonder at what my children are thinking about their own families one day. My 15-year-old daughter commented to me yesterday that as sad as she is that there are no more babies, she's kind of enjoying what we can do now that everyone walks, talks, and goes potty. I think she was sensitive to the bittersweet flavor of my last baby's launch out of babyhood and was trying to find the good, but it made me think. It's hard to be the oldest girl in a big family. I hope she's not all babied-out before she has a chance to enjoy her own. And that chaos-stretched-to-the-limit thing that comes with a house full of little people? God uses that. He taught me rich lessons in the midst of all those small children. He took those drawbacks and poured His grace abundantly in the thin places. Mostly, though, He asked me to trust Him with our "future family"--to know that He had plans for me, for them, for my marriage and I couldn't possibly know those plans, couldn't possibly think the way God does. So He asked me not to overthink, but just to step out in faith and accept the gifts He intended with grateful, open hands and a heart willing to be transformed. Thank you Beth, for giving me this glimpse today.I have no more babies. Within the next year, all three of my oldest boys will move out. (Which will leave me with six, but still;-) I hear God, saying, "See, there is good in the quiet, too. I still have gentle pleasures planned for you, when they are nearly all grown and gone. Keep trusting."

Kristi said...

Wonderful post, Beth. Being the youngest of 5 myself, you know I loved that special time I got one on one with my parents when the others were gone. It made up for all the years everyone always told me what to do :). Oh, I am kidding, a little! It is hard with 5 of my own today, trying to juggle giving all the attention. Praying God's grace will cover where I am lacking...