Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kitchen table lab

Did you wonder what we dissected?

It pig large intestine - from our local international market. Some people eat them.  I teased the kids that after we were done with our dissections, we'd stir fry our results.  They were not interested.

This was the first real dissecting practice for some of my students and they rose to the challenge.  They have, for the most part, gotten over the "yuck" factor.  They worked with scalpel, scissors, and tweezers and did a great job exploring their specimens.   They prepared microscope slides and I heard several "oh, wows!"  Always love that.




I'm pretty sure that most of the biology kids' moms are happy for my kitchen, not theirs, to be the lab.  I'm thankful for the privilege to watch these kids explore and learn as they reach (some of them) a bit beyond their comfort zones.  Maybe these kitchen table experiences will be a springboard for some of them.  My goal is to engage and encourage.  This story inspired. (Be sure and click both "listen" boxes).

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

You have and Emma even liked that dissection! She told me all about it.
Not sure she will go into medicine but I know she will never forget your kitchen lab and you!