Saturday, October 01, 2011

I knew it was going to be a good day...

... when I awoke very early to my even earlier rising husband tenderly pulling a heavier cover over me so I'd stay warm in bed after he got up.  I snuggled under the cover and dozed a little more, thankful for such thoughtfulness.

I knew it was going to be a good day ...

... when I pulled on my sweats, made a perfect cup of coffee, donned my wool hat, and went out to the porch.  I wrapped a wool blanket around my shoulders, pulled a quilt over my lap, and lit a candle.  Yes, it was chilly this morning.  A couple of squirrels were navigating the treetops as the birds started to wake up.  The flock of starlings that was roosting in our trees a day or so ago were gone so the most noticeable sound this morning was the thunk, thunk, thunk of acorns.  Seems to be an abundant crop this year.

The good day continued with ...

... a leisurely breakfast.  Oatmeal, of course, on this cool morning.   Coty, Rachel, Rick and I got to visit a bit, as they drank their coffee and prepared to head out the door for a day of wedding related activities.  Rachel's spending the weekend with us because her fiance, Rick, is housesitting for his folks who live nearby.  Rachel is like family, she's spent so much time in the middle bedroom!

... a productive half hour planning menus, choosing recipes from Simply in Season and Simple Suppers.  One of my October goals is to do a better job of planning meals.  I get in ruts with cooking when I get busy, and our eating suffers.  I asked Coty to choose three recipes he wanted to try.  His choices:  Fried Rice with Tofu and Pineapple, Warm French Lentil Salad, and Beans, Corn and Greens Soup.  I picked a couple: Thai butternut squash soup and Au Gratin potatoes with red and sweet potatoes.  Lots of good eating this week.

... a trip to the grocery store, with a long, specific list.  I also hit the Korean grocery, the Middle Eastern grocery, and the Indian grocery.  I love that these little shops are all close by.  I came home from my international shops with dried oyster mushrooms, Japanese noodles, tahini, paneer, wholegrain flatbread, Thai red curry paste, powdered hot chilis, and lovely fresh cilantro and dill.

... Thomas and Kay coming for lunch.  Homemade hummus with lots of cilantro and garlic on that really good flatbread, grapes, oranges, and carrots.  Thomas even tried the concoction that Coty and I are loving these days, kombucha tea with cranberry pomegranate juice and seltzer water.  Really, really good, once you are used to the flavor of the kombucha.  I'm glad T and K live so close and can stop by on a Saturday for a visit.  I always feel so happy when they do that.

... the rest of the afternoon, outside!  Digging, spreading mulch, transplanting flowers and perennials, weeding, moving rocks, creating a path, imagining rhododendrons in places I hadn't thought of planting them before.

This evening ...

... Coty and I ate big salads and more hummus and flatbread.  I recreated the cilantro-lime dressing that I'd had at a restaurant in G'ville last weekend and it was perfect!

... we previewed a bit of a movie I'm going to show my AP Government class and skyped with Matthew.  Rachel returned "home" and now everyone is tucking in for a good night's sleep.

I am so thankful for a productive Saturday.  I had envisioned this day as a work day but it included some sweet family and friend time, too.  After the last few weeks of very intense study time and class prep, a lot of chores have been put on the back burner. I needed a day to pour into home life.  I got so much done and enjoyed spaces of quiet and relationship.

I'd love to tell you more about the garden and the never-ending front yard project.  But I'll save that for another day when I have a few pictures to show you.  Now, it's time for me to tuck in, too.

I hope you had a good start to this new month, too.  Happy October! 

4 comments:

llasblog said...

That does sound like a good day! You're right that when you've been busy, housekeeping can be very welcome.

And I like your new header, too! Maybe it's not so new anymore, but I don't think I said anything about it before.

Kathie said...

A lovely day Beth! I've been working on meal planning too - trying to figure out how to best use Pinterest for a meal plan. I'm adding recipes - but I wonder how to post an actual menu plan there. And then re-cycle them once I have a number of them. I'm sure there's a way.

Looking forward to your garden pics.

xo

tonia said...

A lovely, full day! I so want to come eat at your house, Beth...the food sounds delicious. I'm in the market for starting my own kombucha, just haven't done it yet. I'll remember your suggestion here.

If you've any spare time, could you come rescue my yard? I could use your gardening genius.

Amber Benton said...

Whew! Love the adventureous menu. We aren't quite that adventureous here, but it all sounds wonderful to me!