Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Forty-first Monday

From one of my favorite books:
"It seems to me sometimes as though the Lord breathes on this poor gray ember of Creation and turns it to radiance - for a moment or a year or the span of a life.  And then it sinks back into itself again, and to look at it no one would know it had anything to do with fire or light ... But the Lord is more constant and far more extravagant ... Wherever you turn your eyes, the world can shine like transfiguration.  You don't have to bring a thing except a little willingness to see."   -from Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

I have often been reminded that giving thanks changes the way I see the world around me.  "The world can shine" when I turn my eyes toward the Giver of all good gifts. So, in the wee hours of this Tuesday morning, I give thanks for:

2080.  Erin and Clara safely here, a last minute airport switch to a direct flight, and a sleepy little girl blinking her eyes hard in the car on the ride home to try and stay awake.

2081.  Walking through difficult days with dear friends - a cancer diagnosis and a job loss -  and seeing their trust tested and strengthened in the trials.

2082.  Caring shown by many, hands-on.

2083.  A back porch full of people.

2084.  An incredible celebration meal brought by friends.

2085. Silence, which can be welcome or hurtful, depending on the circumstances.

2086.  Deep conversations with some of my children the last few days.

2087.  The communion of the saints, the forgiveness of sins

2088.  New Jersey words (my friend, C knows!)

2089.  A stretch of days to put aside work, and play with play dough, read books, and push a stroller with a very special passenger!

2090.  Praying with two very special women.






1 comment:

llasblog said...

I like that quote. It's beautifully written, too.