Thursday, September 22, 2011

Happy little moments

It's the middle of the night.  I don't want to be awake.  But I am.  So, here are a few things that have been running through my mind, in reflecting on the day past and the day ahead ...

: :  I love, love, love my students.  Today, in one of my high school biology classes, I pushed students hard to really grasp some basic concepts that were new to them.  We went over and over a couple of biochemical reactions as we discussed sugars and how they work in our bodies.  I kept asking my students to clarify, define, explain and I love that we ended up laughing and feeling triumphant in the learning process.

: :  The day was long and full.  I got to the late afternoon and hadn't finished dinner preparations and we had friends coming over for premarital counseling in the evening.  I wanted to go for a walk.  Coty came downstairs as I was starting to saute onions for soup and asked what he could do to get dinner ready so I could get out the door and go for a walk.  I am thankful for a husband that encourages me to exercise regularly and is happy to step in and do what's needed so I can go walk for an hour.  I had a great 4 mile walk at a fast pace and came home sweaty and happy.

: :  Not long after I got home from my walk, Joel returned from the library.  He'd gone there to return a book and work for awhile.  On his way home, he stopped at Starbucks and brought me a pumpkin spice latte.  I knew he was going to do it because he asked me before he went what I wanted.  Sweet son.  I thoroughly enjoyed my latte.

: :  Erin's Terrific Two's blog also makes me very, very happy.  As does the thought that she and Clara will be here for a nice long visit in October.

: : Tomorrow's another full day.  I teach another great group of students in the morning and am excited about their reflections on civil liberties Supreme Court cases.  I spent time grading free response questions that they'd turned in last week and am encouraged by the way in which these students are thinking and working hard.  I love the discussions we have in class about significant issues.  Tomorrow - the First Amendment and rights in conflict.

: :  My teaching load this year is BIG.  I am spending long hours preparing for classes.  My friend, Amber, and I were talking about this the other day and commenting on the fact that though the preparation takes time, it feeds us.  We are learning new things even as we challenge students to read carefully, think hard, observe, and process.  As teachers, we must expect that of ourselves as well.  We are lifelong learners and truly, teaching is the one of the best ways to learn!

: :  It rained today.  I sat on the porch and read and drank tea.  Three of my favorite things - rain, a good book, and a cup of tea.  It doesn't take a whole lot to make me happy.

: :  Tomorrow, in addition to teaching, I get to watch a soccer game in the afternoon.  You know I love that.  In the evening, we have the first of our co-op mom's nights.  I am so thankful for this group of women and I love that we'll be gathering just to visit with each other and NOT talk about co-op or school.  These times bind us together and are always sweet.

And now ... I'm headed back to bed and hoping I can fall asleep.  I would like to be lucid for my students tomorrow and not have large dark circles under my eyes.

Night night. 

5 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Oh dear - 3am! Loved our conversation about teaching, loved reading this, love rain, tea and books, and love YOU!

Kristi said...

So glad sweet Clara is coming for a visit! Thanks for another encouraging blog post. Yeah Joel for bringing you a pumpkin spice latte :)!!

bwilliams said...

Ditto everything above...sweet dreams sweet Beth...good night

llasblog said...

Ah, can relate to the wanting to be asleep but not being. But I am enjoying reading your thoughts, especially those about meeting friends and NOT talking about co-op or school.

I hope the next night went better!

Susan said...

Beth, I love your grateful middle of the night thoughts. What a nice way to use the wake time when sleep really won't come, and doubly nice that you shared them here. My sleep is patchy, too, and I've also learned to accept it and go with it rather than feeling frustrated that I will be sleep-deprived come morning. :-) Praying for full nights of sleep for you. . .