Friday, August 12, 2011

Bolivia: Days 1 and 2

My brain is tired after a full day so I'll not write much now, but some of you have been asking for pictures.  Enjoy these few from our first couple of days...

Above and below are views from the windows of Scotty and Lisa's house.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but somehow I was not prepared for the rugged beauty of this place.  It's dry season, so it's mostly brown right now, but the landscape is stunning!

We went to the Wednesday fruit and vegetable market along a La Paz street.  Women in traditional dress mixed right in with the modern.



How about that background to the market.  It makes where I shop seem incredibly boring.

So does this!  All those tropical fruits and vegetables and the more temperate fare, like apples and grapes as well.  I was remembering, as we walked through the market and as I watched Lisa interact with the vegetable ladies, just how much I miss shopping in places like this.  And the "dash" - that little extra that the woman whose stall you frequent throws in at the end of the purchase - it's called the "yapa" here.  Lisa got a bunch of radishes and a couple of extra oranges, I think.  

A few more women in their traditional garb, including the bowler hat.

This is on the drive from Mallasilla into La Paz.  We pass it everytime we go anywhere. It's called The Valley of the Moon.  You pay a few Bolivianos and can go walking along the paths that wind through the "moonscape".  We hope to do that while we're here.

Thursday morning we went to the fabric market in Sopacachi.  It reminded me a lot of the Xiamen (China, 2009) market, but it was a bit smaller and the selection was not as varied and the quality of fabric not as high.  Still, it was fun to see.  More fun was the yarn market, a few blocks up.  Lisa had never been there and we had to ask where it was.

On the way up the street, we stopped for fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice.

The yarn market...


Ahhhhhhhhh!  A knitter's paradise.  I was really wishing I knew the Spanish for various knitting and yarn terms - and that I knew more about various types of wool and alpaca.  I'll have to study up before I come back to Bolivia!  I did come away with four skeins of beautiful blue bulky alpaca yarn.  Pattern ideas, anyone?


These little scarf looms were being sold in most of the shops.  I'm sort of kicking myself that I didn't buy one, but at least I took a picture.  It wouldn't be hard to make and would be a great handcraft for kids.

Selling her peppers and turnips along the street.  Reminds me of so many similar vendors in places we've traveled around the world.

That's all for now.  Coty is gone to another city for a pastor's conference and has the laptop with Picassa on it.  Also, very sadly, my camera is acting up.  I do hope it's not done for.  I have so much more to show you!  And more to tell.  But it will wait for another day.

Love from Bolivia ...

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oooh, I do like the looms. Thanks for the pictures :-)

Trish T. said...

Thanks for the pictures, Beth. Oh, how I love markets like the ones in your pictures!!! It sounds like you are having a wonderful trip. Blessings!

Bonnie said...

extrarodinary!

Laura A said...

CZ particularly likes this post. Perhaps the yarn has something to do with it. (She says it's the mountains.) Nice photos!