Monday, July 18, 2011

29th Monday

Yesterday we sang these words from a hymn written by Joseph Addison in 1710:
When all Thy mercies, O my God,
My rising soul surveys,
Transported with the view, I'm lost
In wonder, love, and praise.
Unnumbered comforts to my soul
Thy tender care bestowed,
Before my infant heart conceived
From Whom those comforts flowed.
Ten thousand, thousand precious gifts
My daily thanks employ;
Nor is the least a cheerful heart
That tastes those gifts with joy.
Through all eternity to Thee a joyful song I'll raise.For oh, eternity's too short to utter all Thy praise.  

I stopped numbering back in May.  Why?  Inertia, I suppose.  A bit of malaise.  The crush of busy-ness.  These are not good reasons.  They were, like life often is, unintentional.  And the days continued and the gifts went not entirely unnoticed, but uncounted, and my heart was less cheerful.

This life is far too short for inertia, malaise, and busy-ness. So, I go back, thankful for new mornings and fresh starts, to counting and more intentional thanksgiving.  There are, as the hymn says, ten thousand, thousand precious gifts and I'm only at...

2025. music of the summer morning: cardinals, crows, cicadas...

2026. the play of morning light on oak leaves

2027. metaphorical language in Scripture (Isaiah 28:23-29)

2028.  helpful commentaries and new insights.

2029.  a couple of quiet days to be guarded from interruptions

2030.  morning smoothies to handed to one boy on his way back upstairs for his quiet time and to another on his way out the door to work.

2031.  good work for sons to do

2032.  starting fresh, knowing the pay-off of perseverance and that slacking off doesn't have to continue in a downward spiral.  Get up and keep walking - literally and figuratively.

2033.  librivox.org

2034.  After church lunch time conversation and reflection around the table.

2035.  a table full of books and papers to help in completing this day's task of syllabus writing.

2036.  energy and time for the job!

2037.  the promise of a walk and a swim

5 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Thanks for sharing the hymn and your numbering. Missed you yesterday :)

Kathie said...

Your numbering is so far ahead of mine! You're an inspiration Beth <3

Susan said...

Love your list of gifts! It really does make a difference to pointedly enumerate them, doesn't it? That's why I kept my Gathering Up My Comforts blog when I was in the midst of turmoil. To fix on the blessings and good things that abounded in the midst of it all. And to acknowledge the giver of those gifts. It changes everything! :-)

Susan

Beth said...

Susan,
It's especially necessary in the midst of turmoil, though that's when the temptation to complaint instead of thanksgiving is greatest. I was just looking at your Comforts blog this morning (did you just put that link up today? I just saw it today). Anyway, that was such a beautiful practice. I'm sure it helped in the tough days. Love to you.

Bonnie said...

I realized that I don't make lists or number so mine in my journal has sat untouched for weeks. As I age , some things don't change!!! My heart leaps at other things and in my other journals are more magical moments written more in detail. You are doing well to have gotten past 1000.