Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Reading #3

I'm giving a talk on healthy eating and doing a cooking demo for a group of women later this summer. In preparation, I've added a couple of foodie books to my summer stack.  Yesterday, I breezed through this one:


This very quick read gives Pollan's 64 "rules" that help us answer the question, "What should I eat?"

The basic answer is, in Pollan's words, "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."

He expands this answer with his rules which though commonsense, get lost in our day of nutritional information overload, conflicting health claims, fast food, and the decline of sit-down-at-the-table-and-enjoy-a-meal-with-your-family-and-friends eating.

Here are a few of my favorites:

#2 Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.


#13 Eat only foods that will eventually rot.


#18  Don't eat foods made in places where everyone is required to wear a surgical cap.

My favorite one,  #25 Eat your colors  

with an exception, #36 Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.

and finally,

#51 Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.


Good advice.  Simple guidelines.  Pretty much the way we eat around here.


3 comments:

Andrea - The Earthen Vessel said...

is the cooking talk open to folks from Concord, say, maybe me??

Beth said...

Andrea,
It's up in Durham at my friend, Jenn's church. Maybe we'll do one down here sometime!

Kristi said...

Count me in if you ever speak locally :).