Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pretty excited to show you...

Thomas and Kay's wedding quilt!

From a stack of squares in shades of indigo, lavender, violet, turquoise, deep sky blue and cyan ...



arranged square by square on the family room floor...


stacked in numbered rows...


and stitched square by square, row by row, the top is done!


It's so big we had to hang it down over my parents' upstairs landing to show you the whole thing!



This is a stash value quilt, though I used both fabrics from my stash and a lot of new ones purchased with the recipients in mind.  One of my favorite parts of making any quilt is choosing the fabrics and thinking of special people for whom it is being made.   Thomas and Kay are the epitome of a couple that knows how to have fun together and I thought about that a lot as I chose fabrics.  


Now I have to choose the backing and binding fabrics and get it all put together.  I'm very pleased with how this has all come together and it really took less time than I anticipated.  They will be sure to have the completed quilt before their first anniversary!

If you want to know more about how to make this kind of quilt, I first saw this design idea here and was led to a very helpful tutorial here.  

8 comments:

Missy K said...

What a treasure, Beth!

Trish T. said...

Incredible, Beth! It's so beautiful. I know they'll love displaying it in their home.

Kay Pinckney said...

I am so excited to snuggle up under it. :) thank you so much for such a beautiful gift!

Kathie said...

Those are my favourite shades!! It is sure to be an heirloom.

tonia said...

Oh Beth, it's amazing. What a talented woman you are! Your children are BLESSED.

Susan said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Erin said...

OOooooo, it's beautiful!! I love it! And I think you started this tradition one child too late... ;) Gorgeous colors.

Beth said...

Erin,
I've thought about that! I'd love to make a quilt for you and Luke. The 2nd anniversary gift is cotton and calico - missed that one. 13th is textiles. Let's see - 2018 - I think I could make one by then ;)