Monday, June 13, 2011

In the Image of the Maker

I went to a retreat this weekend.  First, I have to tell you how I got to go.

Waaaay back in February, I saw a link in Ann's sidebar for the retreat.  I have read and loved Ann's blog for years and thought, "Oh, wouldn't that be something to get to go?"  The theme of the retreat resonated with me and the thought of being with 75 makers, listening to Ann and to some beautifully talented singer-songwriters ... and it was at Caraway (a spot that holds a happy spot in our family for a variety of reasons). Well, I started hoping... sent the link to Coty ... and went off to the grocery store.  Figured I talk to him about it later.

I got home. Unloaded groceries.  Started dinner.  Went to check email.  Found a confirmation email from the retreat organizers in my inbox.  Registered.  Paid.  Yeah, my husband did that!  He knows me.  He knew that I'd love being there.  He clicked right on over and signed me up.  He's pretty special, that man.

A few good friends of mine went, too.  Amber, Carla, Jamie.  And one friend, Missy, that I'd never met in person.

This was not a polished, snazzy event.  This was three creative women who know their own brokenness standing nervously in front of the rest of us singing their songs and telling their stories.  Why would they do that?  They did it so that the rest of us would see both our brokenness and our giftedness; so that we would  frame our lives and see them as art; so that we would steward our gifts; so that we, broken, leaky vessels would anoint the world with the fragrance of Christ.

We heard some beautiful music...


and some wise words...


and came home richer.


******
If you have arrived here from Ann's link, may I just say that she is incredibly generous and gracious in her words.  I am so thankful for that woman.  She's humble.  She's real.  She's a treasure.  She and I had a long surprise, God-arranged conversation as she stepped off the elevator I was about to step onto.  What a gift!  So, thank you, Ann, for your kind words.  The pleasure of meeting, hugging, and talking face to face was so very sweet.

7 comments:

Trish T. said...

Beth,

This is Trish from the retreat. I just found your blog from Ann's link. What a beautiful blog it is!

I just wanted to say thanks again for all your encouragement, especially for crying with me and for me on that bench at the chapel Saturday morning. Sometimes the greatest comfort comes with no words expressed. Your compassion moved me, comforted me, and lifted me up. Thank you dear friend!

Are you on Facebook? I would love to stay in touch but don't know your last name. If you are on there and are interested, you can find me at Trish Townsend.

Blessings to you!
Love,
Trish

ruthidejong said...

Hi Beth ~ nice to find your blog and it was even nicer to have breakfast with you Saturday morning. God blessed us all at our gathering of Makers and I am thankful to have met you. Love your blog and look forward to keeping in touch.

Kathie said...

Oh I would have loved to be there too! What a sweet time. Someday!!

Kimberly said...

Lovely! My Sweetheart did the same for me a few years ago. I'd mentioned an artist's retreat with Margaret Becker. Next I knew, I was registered. It was such a blessing. How delightful to have attended the one you did!

Teresa said...

Beth,

I found your blog from Ann's site. I've enjoyed her writings also! Glad you could see her in person. You probably don't remember me, but you were a blessing to me when you spoke on Masterly Inactivity at one of the CM Saturday events (Amber also was). Thanks for your giving heart. I'll visit again.

Warmly,
Teresa

Bonnie said...

I'm sure it was a highlight of this year! What did she speak on?

tonia said...

She really loved you, Beth. I knew she would. :) I think you are pretty wonderful, myself.