Friday, March 18, 2011

The week in review...

It's been one of those very full weeks.  

Andrew spent the last couple of hours of his spring break sleeping on the hammock.  Drag out that relaxing as long as you can, right!

I took A back to Furman on Sunday and spent the night with my parents.  On Monday, we tackled a landscape project: a visit to the plant nursery, a planting area dug, ground covers and perennials planted.  It was a very productive and enjoyable day with Mama and Daddy.  Sadly, I have no "before and after" photos of our hard work.

Apparently, my camera was being used to capture a little of the foolishness at home.  You never know what's going to happen when you leave.  But then again, I'm never really sure what's going to happen even when I'm here.  Love these guys, (no they're not mine, they're HP's, Honorary Pinckneys).  I have no idea what was so funny.

Things got serious on Tuesday.  Joel learned how to eat.  Like a diplomat, that is.

When my kids were little and demonstrated poor manners at the table, I used to say, "You wouldn't do that if you were eating with the president, would you???"

Well, now Joel will know just what to do if he ever gets invited to a state banquet.  He and his co-op classmates had a two hour lunch and learned exactly what to do with all that silverware.  Who taught them all the intricacies of proper dining, you might be wondering.  Becky Pitts, the former Protocol Officer for Bank of America, was a delightful, patient, and entertaining teacher.

The kids had a four course meal (soup, salad, lemon chicken, asparagus risotto,broccoli, homemade rolls, and chocolate cheesecake) lovingly prepared by their moms.  And no, they won't be eating that well at co-op next week.  Sorry, y'all.


On Wednesday, the week took a wilder turn.  Well, hello little alligator. (I think her name was Annabelle).


I took my class to the Herpetology Lab at Davidson.  We enjoyed an hour and a half visit, led by Outreach Coordinator, Nitya Rao, who is a sophomore at the college. (What a great job to have while in college - if you like snakes and other related critters, that is)  Nitya was great and persisted til she finally got my rather shy class to start talking! More on the field trip later...

Today, with the weather absolutely gorgeous, there was no way I was keeping my Field Biology students inside.  Oh, no!  We were out in the field, the woods, the pond, the creek. But, like the herp lab, that deserves a post of it's own with a few more photos.  So stay tuned....

When class was over, we headed out for a picnic lunch and walk. After parking one car at the end of the Greenway, we met Thomas and Kay at McAlpine Park for a birthday picnic for Coty.  Happy birthday, sweetie!

Then Joel ferried us to the other end of the Greenway and Coty and I did the first of what I am hoping will be many walks on the greenways in our area.  But that gets its own post, too.

So, there it is.  The week so far.

Tomorrow promises time for sewing, preparing and serving dinner at the Charlotte Rescue Mission Phase 10 in the evening with Thomas, Kay, and Joel, some March Madness, I'm sure, and I hope, some digging in the dirt.

Very full.  (And I didn't even tell you about soccer, yarn shopping, and small group chili dinner).

Very good.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

When I grow up I would like to be you...or at least one of your students!