Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wednesday walk

I've had fabric on the brain (and all over my sewing room and family room and two sewing machines humming for a week) so it's hard to think, much less write, about anything else.  But, I did go on another bird walk yesterday to the same place as last Wednesday.  This time, I went with the rest of my students who couldn't go last week, two of the moms, and my sweet sister-in-law, Laura (who is the cause of the fabric on the brain, but more on that in another post!).

We walked along the same section of Four Mile Creek Greenway as last week and though our species count was not as high, we saw some interesting sights.  We are still trying to figure out if the little bird Luke spotted was a wood thrush or an ovenbird.  None of us got a really great look at it, hidden as it was in the underbrush and moving as much as it did.

We saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks, lots and lots of cardinals, wrens, red-headed woodpeckers, male and female red-wing blackbirds, downy woodpeckers, mallards, yellow-rumped warblers, an Eastern phoebe and more.  We heard a barred owl calling.  When we were near the heron rookery, observing the herons perched atop their nests, my friend, Amber, exclaimed, "I feel like I am in some place exotic!"

Seeing those big old birds perched on their stick nests in the tops of the trees is something that does feels very special and sort of foreign.  What a treat that it's right in our backyard, so to speak.

Yesterday's walk has got me thinking about the greenways in our area.  According to the Meckenburg Department of Parks and Recreation, there are 33 miles of developed and 147 miles of undeveloped greenways in the county.  Wouldn't it be fun to walk all 180 miles of greenway over the course of the spring and summer.  I think I'll be hatching a plan.  Stay tuned...

No comments: