Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Wednesday walk 2

I didn't have my Wednesday morning walk with Amber today because our friend, Jenn, was still here and heading to the airport this morning.

So, I delayed my walk til the afternoon.  It was mild today and sunny.  Lovely afternoon for a walk. 3 miles around the neighborhood listening to a couple of chapters of Wives and Daughters.

All of you friends and family enduring the snowstorms and frigid temps, I remember.  I lived in New England for 13 years and spent a January in Minneapolis.  I've not forgotten the cold. But I am quite glad to live now in a place where a light jacket will do and daffodils are up a few inches by Groundhog Day!  I hope Phil was right and spring is on the way.

For those of you for whom this photo is tormenting, I apologize.  I really do remember dressing in 17 layers, loving my LLBean mucky-muck boots, glorious sledding, and the sound of snow plows in the middle of the night.  If you'd rather look at more snow pictures, I recommend these from up near where we used to live.

I just had to post that picture, though.  When it is 99 degrees with 99% humidity here this summer, you may gloat.  Meanwhile, enjoy your snow and I'll keep my eyes out for the first yellow swellings to appear atop those daffy stems! 

10 comments:

Abby said...

Sounds like a lovely tradition! I wish I was able to take Wednesday walks in the afternoon... How are you enjoying "Wives and Daughters"? What a neat idea to listen to it while you walk!

Amber Benton said...

Enjoyed my THURSDAY walk instead. We found our daffodils yesterday when we were out enjoying the sunshine. It was very warm yesterday, but a high of 45 today. Spring may be around the corner, but we still have to make it through February!

Catriona said...

Our south facing daffodils are peaking through too :)

Have you read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell? I'm reading that just now and really enjoying it.

Erica said...

Your post actually gives me a little hope for spring! And I so enjoyed the pictures of the sheep and lambs in MA!

Kathie said...

My outdoor scene looks a snow globe today so I don't feel the least envious to see your daffodil shoots! I love to watch your spring come early online and I'm happy to get mine in March - er - April :) As long as I don't get the 99 plus humidity. I'd be wilting I'm afraid.

Amber Benton said...

It's sleeting on those daffodils now!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Daffodils? What?
Kristin

Beth said...

Abby - I love my walks, both the solitary ones and those when I get to catch up with dear friends. I'm about four chapters in and am enjoying meeting the characters in Wives and Daugthers.

Amber - Sleet last night and now cold rain. Yep, February is not all sunshine and daffodils!

Catriona - This is the first Elizabeth Gaskell book I've read. I'll have to put North and South on the endless "to be read" list.

Kathie - your snow globe world is lovely. Having grown up in the south, I think I have humidity tolerance in the blood ;)

Kristin - Yes! Daffodils in February. It's crazy, I know. When I lived in MA, I always felt pain in March when my mom would write and tell me about the flowers blooming. Now, I'm the culprit, showing those pictures to snow bound folks but...

Erica - I'm glad the picture gives you hope. You've had quite the winter!

Laura A said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the Southern daffodil photo. I remember that scene! And when I'm up here walking in narrow spaces of sidewalk to avoid the dirty, frozen and refrozen remains of all this year's snows, it makes me happy just to think that somewhere there are starting to be signs of spring. Enjoy every flower!

Beth said...

Thanks, Laura. I'll enjoy them for you, too!