Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wednesday walk

Well, this morning my dear friend, Amber, and I got back to our morning walking.  We meet at 6:15 at her house (only once or twice a week because of morning schedules) and make a circuit of her neighborhood, past huddled groups of high school students waiting for the bus, sleepy houses, and the occasional dog walker.  We often pass firemen from the nearby station out for their morning run.  They are always friendly with their greetings.

It was chilly and damp this morning, a light mist giving way to a drizzle part way through our walk.  But we were prepared.  Wool hats, rain coats, and gloves.  It was fine.

I love my morning walks with Amber.  Such good conversation and always food for thought.  We range from kids to books to food to education to gardening to knitting to ... well, you get the picture.  Our walk is never long enough for our conversations.  This morning we sat for a bit on the chairs on her porch and talked some more.

Now, back home I feel a little chill in my bones.  I'm ready for the oatmeal that's bubbling on the stove.  The coffee is about done brewing in the press and my basket of books is waiting for me.  It's a rainy day and I'm thankful for a warm house and good work to do at home today: preparing for Friday's class, working with fabric, finishing that second mitten for Matthew, planning meals.

This week"s reading includes Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie in Search of America (thanks, Kandyce and Jonathan for giving it to Joel!), Bernd Heinrich's Winter World. , and Andrew Murray's With Christ in the School of Prayer.  As I read Murray, I follow T's thoughts on the book. Oh, and when I walk by myself, I'm listening to Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters.

Oatmeal's ready now, but one last thing.  Did you all hear about the Cooper's Hawk in the Library of Congress?!

                                                       
Wow!

_____________________
photo by Abby Brack/Library of Congress

10 comments:

Scotty and Lisa said...

Sounds so inviting- the walk and the oatmeal after! It is that type of rainy here today and I am sitting with a hot cup of coffee wondering if I should read or write "thank-you" notes. I'd love to take a good walk with you.

Beth said...

Oh, Lisa, I remember our lovely long walk while the boys watched Natty. I'd love to have more like that! Miss you.

bwilliams said...

Beth, reading this has made my day! I am so thankful that my daughter is blessed with such wonderful friends. With five boys (David makes six) in the house, she needs a little girl talk every so often. Good friends are a gift to ourselves for ourselves; but really and truly the giver is God.

Beth said...

Brenda,
I'm so thankful for your amazing daughter! How blessed I have been these years of living here and knowing her.

Bonnie said...

I didn't hear or see about that hawk!
Great reads ( hope you have seen Wives and Daughters ) and of course , a great walk with a great friend.
Not as cold as it has been and with a friend it warms up quickly! Morning roosters , both of you!

Beth said...

No, Bonnie. I haven't seen Wives and Daughters. I'd like to after I listen, but I expect it's going to take me a while - and quite a few miles - to get through the audio book!

We are early birds, all right. I love it.

Amber Benton said...

I had a lovely time too, Beth. Never long enough for all the words. David called me on his way home - wanna go for a walk when I get there? I walked the loops again. I'm a bit sore this morning - it's been a little while since I walked 5 miles at that pace!

Love to you on this morning that I ate oatmeal :)

Bonnie said...

We have done Wives and Daughters the other way around: Masterpiece Theater first , then the book. Extraordinary cast. We have loved Elizabeth Gaskell. Ask Emma!

Laura A said...

I enjoyed reading the hawk story and its sequels on the Library of Congress blog. The gesture and expression of the figures in the mural, especially the "cherub" on the right, are priceless in their new context!

I once saw guards chasing a House Sparrow around the Metropolitan Museum. It had lighted on a large Buddhist mural, but when they tried to shoo it out, it went up into one of the domes in the main lobby. I've also seen sparrows in the American Wing (no pun intended), and in a grocery store. I guess there are so many birds, and so many buildings (especially those with large glass windows) that some are bound to wander in, not having any idea how hard it is to get out again!

But I'm glad that hawk got out.

Beth said...

Why is it that the birds come inside? I understand the wren that nests in my garage, but all the birds that make their way onto my screen porch??? And into buildings? Maybe they appreciate the protection from weather and predators inside and can get enough food? Or maybe they just want to check us out!