Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All bound and ready to go

A year ago, I went to the fabric store.  Seven months ago, just before their wedding, I finished piecing the top and gave it to J and K.  I brought it home with me after the wedding to be quilted.  The machine quilting was done by Rebecca, who finished that phase of the project just before Christmas.  Sunday, I finished sewing the binding around the edges.  Today, I made and sewed on the label.



My first wedding quilt is done and going in the mail tomorrow.  It was almost exactly a year from the first fabric purchases until the final stitches were in.  I have loved it from start to finish.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

It's beautiful! What an amazing project. I love the red binding.

Beth said...

Thanks, Kelly. It was a joy to make.

bwilliams said...

Beth, what a wonderful gift. I'm sure it will become an heirloom passed down to grandchildren. Nine patch is a pleasant pattern to work with. I have a nine patch that my mother and I pieced and then I hand quilted. It has fabric remnants from garments I made for my sister and myself when I was a teen first learning to sew, as well as scraps from the family's worn clothing. I like to look back at it and identify where the squares came from. When I was expecting Amber I made a baby quilt with appliqued ducks on it using fabric scraps. Some of the pieces had belonged to her great grandmother and some were from my family. She loves that quilt and it will be passed on to one of the boys some day for their babies. Quilts are special textiles, pieced with love and memories.

Amber Benton said...

Perfect Label! Beautiful job.

kk said...

we love it, too!! it has been on our couch- to be snuggled under, of course- since it arrived yesterday. :)

Beth said...

kandyce - i know it's a little "stiff" right now but with washing and use, I think it's going to really soften up. i'm so glad you like it and glad it got there so quickly!

kk said...

how could we not love something so personal, thoughtful and beautiful? i mean, really!