Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Forty-fifth Tuesday

Sometimes you have the opportunity to see things from a different vantage point.  I have gazed across the treetops to the university campus and beyond from the 5th floor of the hospital a lot recently.  I like seeing the big picture spread out below, the treetops and the lay of the land, the buildings and roads from a bird's eye view.

I've been seeing another big picture lately.  I see it from the vantage point of "absent pastor's wife."  While Coty has been away, serving in Indonesia and India, I've fielded a few more phone calls and questions, been asked to relay messages, and handled little details that he normally sees to.  It has not been a burden at all, but has given me the privilege of seeing things from a little different vantage point than I usually do.  I see more clearly the "big picture" of the life of our church.  I am seeing and am incredibly thankful for...

the body of Christ 
in action

I have watched our little church family display so many evidences of grace, so much compassion, so much affectionate serving, so much love.

Dear, dear DGCC family, I feel so thankful as I see you...

visit the sick
respond to emergencies
sit late at the hospital
take food
make cards
sing a hymn as a family at a bedside
care for elderly members
play the piano
lead worship for the first time
teach children to sing
counsel
encourage a frightened and discouraged young man
pray
eat together
take over teaching a class
pick up a bed from the store,
take it to the apartment,
put it together,
and go back to the store for the missing piece.
tag team visit
run errands
give money for a plane ticket
send emails of encouragement and comfort
cry together
laugh together
travel to far away places
bring snacks to the hospital
offer rides to those who can't drive
handle finances
make phone calls
clean the church building
adopt very special needs children
endure hardship with patience
trust God in trials

We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers, remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.  1 Thessalonians 1:2,3


#s 1436-1469

3 comments:

Kristi said...

We love you, Beth! Thank you for being there for us.

Islandsparrow said...

It's amazing - and all done for love.

tonia said...

absolutely lovely. thank you for encouraging my faith (in the church!) :)