Thursday, September 02, 2010

Happy September

I know a lot of people who love the advent of autumn.  They get excited about the arrival of cooler weather, russet and golden leaves, pumpkin patches, and the smell of new erasers.  I like autumn, too, but about this time of year, I am mourning that summer does not last longer.  I like hot weather and sleeveless shirts, flip-flops and home-grown tomatoes (of which we have definitely NOT had enough this year!).  I think it's because I grew up in the South and still have a constitution that doesn't wilt when it's humid.  I also think that 90 degrees isn't really that hot.

There are, however, some very wonderful reasons for me to LOVE September.

#1  This young man, my Matthew (the one in the middle, of course) turned 18 yesterday.  He's far away so we were only able to talk on the phone...



#2  This special little girl turns 1 today!!!!



AND...for the second early September in a row, I am in lovely, rural eastern NY, just near the Vermont border with my dear only daughter!  The month has started off just fine.

There are more birthdays to come, but I'll save them for next week.

1 comment:

Amber Benton said...

We've had this conversation before, Beth. I do love the fall. I love the angle of the light, the combination of the still hot sun and cooler air. Last night in Brevard was fabulous. It was down to 45 degrees. I got to wear a sweatshirt and breakfast on the screened in porch was down right chilly! It's my favorite time of year to read The Wind in the Willows (even though that book begins in spring). And I finally get ahead of all the weeds again...