Yesterday was one of those special days when everything seems to go right. The caps fit, the friends and family arrive, the food is plenteous, the sound system works, the speeches and slideshows are moving and funny and not too long, the music is lovely, the helpers gracious and untiring, and on and on and on.
And while one event is going on, an hour and a half away, boys are running and passing, kicking, blocking, sweating, heading, scoring penalty kicks, and one very good goalie is blocking a shot that gives the team the sweet, sweet victory.
Most days are not like this.
In the ordinary days, I give thanks for common things - flowers and birdsong, food on the table, work, rain, the cat, walks; and for hardships, too.
But yesterday was not ordinary. It was one of those golden days, long remembered, to look back on in humble, thankful rejoicing. I am so grateful for...
971. the Goetls, who give Joel rides, when we can't
972. the Stubbs, who call and text to tell us what's happening, when we can't be there and manage the team, what a full plate!
973. Coach Kyle, who cares about character, too, and was jumping and celebrating with his team at the end
974. sixteen hard playing young men
975. no injuries
976. sweet, hard-fought victory
977. parents with hearts in their throats, watching, who told me about it today
978. son who asks us to pray before each game
979. Joel's joy in playing and his example of sportsmanship and integrity
980. safety on the road and back for all the team
981. Heidi, Teresa, Gail, Kathy, Lisa - we started planning together in January. I sure do love these moms.
982. Tracey, Robyn, Joy, Cindy, Charlene, Karen - co-op moms who supported and helped and kept things running smoothly
983. Abundant and beautifully presented food
984. Family and friends who came to support Matthew, thanks Mama and Daddy, Annie and family, Ed, Natalia, Amy, Josh, Rick, Albert, Blake, Helen, Shawn, Paula. Their presence meant so much.
985. Friends who aren't afraid to do something a little crazy to say "we love you."
986. Words of encouragement, words of thanks from parents and students
987. Smiles and a few tears
988. Reaching a goal
989. Dreams, goals, plans for the future
990. Apt words
These boys of mine, together at home right now, supporting, encouraging, loving one another...
991. Joel - the soccer player
992. Matthew - the graduate
993. Andrew - photographer for the day, thanks sweetie
994. Thomas - one of the crazy ones and yes, Matthew loved it!
At the beginning of our graduation ceremony, Coty read these words from 1 Chronicles: 11-14...
Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name. "But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you....O LORD our God, all this abundance ... comes from your hand and is all your own.Who am I, indeed, to be blessed with such abundance. All praise and thanksgiving, all credit and honor belong to the Lord.