Thursday, December 18, 2008

Open home

Tonight, as dinner was cooking, I stepped out on the front porch to plug in the one strand of lights around our little garland. I glanced down the sidewalk and saw John S. walking up. Always nice to see him.

I said, "Hey, I didn't know you were coming over."

And he said, "Gretchen told me I should come over."

Too funny.

Gretchen is a long-time friend of ours, a friend of all the boys, and sort of surrogate sister. She's home from her first semester in college and came over this afternoon to visit. And invited John.

I love it. This is now the second time in a week that this has happened. Without asking us first, our friends have started inviting people over to our house.

"Hey, you should come to the Pinckneys. They'd love to see you."

Yep, that's true, and if you come at dinner time, we'll feed you. Whatever we have. John was fortunate tonight. I was cooking a big dinner - barbecued chicken, gumbo and rice, green beans, sweet potatoes, biscuits with jam.

It is starting to feel quite African around here...like people will just drop by and know that it's fine to do that and know that we will be happy if they stay to eat - even if it's just rice and beans and collard greens.

I am very happy that our friends think our home is open. One of these days, maybe we'll entertain an angel. (Hebrews 13:2)

2 comments:

Katrina said...

This is exactly the kind of home I want to have... I've got aways to go, though. Thanks for sharing this wonderful bit of your life with us. (warm smile)

Luke said...

I think you've already entertained many angels. Luke says that now you're cooking the good stuff! :)