Monday, December 01, 2008

Common mercies

266. a view out the kitchen window this morning of tall shag bark hickory trees waving their bare arms before pink tinted wisps of clouds and oak leaves dancing in the wind.

267. a long walk on this blustery day; first it's cold, then hot as I walk with the wind to my back, and cold again when I turn the corner and the wind hits me head on.

268. a quiet morning of reading for biology lab.

269. a friend for Joel who likes to play disc golf with him no matter how brisk it is outside.

270. good books and a few minutes to finish one.

271. finished knitting projects and more to come.

272. a new month, new habits, fresh resolve.

273. confession and forgiveness.

274. a squirrel balancing on the small end of a branch and then leaping across to a bigger tree and bigger limb and finally nestling into the crook of the branch.

275. black vultures, yes they are beautiful in flight, wheeling over the treetops.

276. titmouse dipping into the wet crumbs in the iron feeder on the deck, he looks annoyed that the offering of broken up biscuits is now sodden.

277. a cheery greeting and hug from a fine young man.

278. ideas to stoke, plans to make.

279. hot soup and fresh collards.

280. encouragement from Spurgeon in the morning, "My soul begin this wintry month with thy God," and words for the evening, "If we complained less, and praised more, we should be happier and God would be more glorified. Let us daily praise God for common mercies...."

And so, that is what I do. Purpose to complain less and praise you, Father God, for all the common mercies of this day, small and large. Open my eyes to see the common as a gift. To live in the constant awareness of your great mercy in salvation and your lavish grace in daily gifts. I do long for my eyes to be open to your gifts, my attitude to be one of constant thankfulness, and my heart to be happy in you.

No comments: