Sunday, November 02, 2008

The church in my house

Charles Spurgeon posed a question in the morning reading for November 1, "Is there a church in this house?"

Spurgeon's question is drawn from a a short phrase in verse 2 of Paul's greeting to Philemon:

I, Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy, our brother, To Philemon, our beloved fellow worker, and (2) Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house.
Spurgeon meditation urges us to pray for our families and then says:

If there be such a Church in our house, let us order it well, and let all act as in the sight of God. Let us move in the common affairs of life with studied holiness, diligence, kindness, and integrity.

As this month opens, I look ahead to full weeks and busy days, to a home brimming with family and friends, to the holidays approaching. I ask myself how I will order my days. How will I move in the common affairs of this household - the eating, cleaning, laundry, study, and play? What does "studied holiness" look like in the nitty gritty of daily tasks? In what areas am I lagging in diligence and how can I show kindness in the most intimate relationships in my home and the circle of people with whom I am connected daily and weekly? Am I woman of integrity in all my thoughts, words, and deeds?

Gracious God, enable me to order my days this month in wisdom. To serve well, the church in this house and the family of God beyond its walls. To be a channel of your love to all. Not in my own strength but by the power of your Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 comment:

Rob said...

This is a sweet post and reflection from Spurgeon. By God's grace, I would have to submit that of all the homes I've dwelt, yours reminds me most of what it's like to be in the house of God -- where His love and holiness are clearly displayed in the everyday, often mundane activities.

Thank you and God bless you for the joy the Lord in your home!