Sunday, August 24, 2008

Work Hard Yet Relax...

Sorry - in my distraction with the beach trip and getting Andrew off last week, I forgot to post the link to the latest sermon in the series "Running the Race of Faith." Unfortunately, the audio didn't work last Sunday but here is a link to a written version of last week's sermon, "Work Hard Yet Relax During the Race of Faith."

I reflected a lot on these words from Matthew:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me. For I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30)
Coty pointed out that a yoke is used on a beast of burden. In Jesus' day it would have signified the hardest work that could be done by man or beast. And yet Jesus told his hearers and he tells us to yoke ourselves to Him in order to find rest. An apparent contradiction until you embrace the truth that it is Jesus in us that does the work. "I strive," as Colossians 1:29 says, "with all HIS energy that so powerfully works in me."

It is hard to apply this work/rest principle. As Coty said, we fall into prayerless striving, acting as if our hard work will accomplish God's purposes. More running images and analogies were once again helpful in illuminating the Word and helping us all to understand and apply. I do hope you will read and be blessed and encouraged.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sent this on to my oldest son
who is training for a half-triathalon
in Oct. He's down in Atlanta on a
Project with the company he works for. Moved hotels to get to a bigger
pool for training!

Thanks.
Bonnie

Beth said...

Good for him! Where is the tri-athlon going to be? Will you get to watch? I hope he finds the sermons helpful.

Bonnie said...

It's in Orlando.
I think I'm going to watch.
It's a half one. He's not training
as hard with tax season at work.

Bonnie