Sunday, August 24, 2008

This one's for Sara

I mentioned recently that I've been reading through Amy Carmichael's poetry. The following poem is one I read the other day that made me think of dear Sara P. who is headed for South Africa very soon and whose "ministry of song" has blessed me and many others.

Ministry of Song
by Amy Carmichael

For joy of song that Thou has given us, Lord,
Brave battle song, like flashing of a sword,
Love's jewel song, alight with golden word--
Our adoring alleluia.

For sweet and mystic power of melody
That wings the soul so swiftly up to Thee,
Harpers of God - for their great ministry --
We adore Thee. Alleluia.

Forgive us, Lord, that ever we have failed
When, had we sung, we should have far out-sailed
Mist of the earth, and risen and prevailed,
And adored Thee. Alleluia!

O let us live and breathe no otherwhere
Than in the clearness of the upper air,
Fulfilled with song to Thee who reignest there.
Alleluia! Alleluia!

No comments: