Monday, July 07, 2008

Local market, local flavor

It's summertime and our little local farmer's market is in full swing. The farmers come on Monday afternoon from 4-7 and the market behind the old restored Post Office bustles with customers. I get a chance to talk to neighbors that I normally only see out running in the neighborhood. We talk over tomatoes, cucs, and peppers. I discuss my jalapeno syrup recipe with one of the vendors, we sample watermelon, and I admire embroidered pillowcases.



I came home last week with cucs, tomatoes, zucchini, "lopes", and green tomatoes for our new favorite summer sandwich, a creation inspired by John S.

2 slices of whole grain bread
Spread one slice of bread with the creamy feta cheese from the Middle East market (this cheese comes from Egypt and is really delicious!)
Spread the other slice with fresh, homemade pesto
Arrange thin slices of green tomato and cucumber on the sandwich
Add pepperoni if you want, stick it all together
Brush olive oil on the outside of the sandwich and toast on the griddle.
Devour!

For the record, John's sandwich has green tomatoes, brie, and bacon. And it's toasted. Really, really good.

We've been using our green tomatoes for sandwiches and haven't had enought to make it worth making fried green tomatoes. Probably better for us, but I do love FGT's!

1 comment:

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

"Dugged yesterday" is priceless! ~smile~

May you dig up good, good things today too, my friend...

All's grace,
Ann