Sunday, May 11, 2008

A unique Mother's Day

I am almost bleary-eyed tired but I have to say that this was the most unique Mother's Day I have ever had. I spent it helping friends welcome a new little one into the world. For those of you who know the Halls, Levi Matthew was born at 3:34 this afternoon and weighed 8 pounds, 6 ounces. He was born at home and Karen and baby - and Jacob, Isabelle, and Ezra are doing great! I had the rare privilege of serving as doula for the family and loved assisting at the home birth by running up and down the stairs to fetch needed items, holding children so they could see the newborn, refilling Karen's juice glass, changing sheets, encouraging mama and papa through the process and just being there to do whatever else needed doing. The midwife and her assistant were calm, competent, and warm. It was a beautiful, peaceful, joyous birth. (Karen may not have thought so in the process, but her feelings afterward confirmed that description). What a way to spend Mother's Day!

I came home this evening to gifts that waited for me - beautiful flowers and my favorite candy, a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure (woohoo - haven't done that in years!), a lovely new shirt in a beautiful shade of blue that Thomas said made him think of me when he saw it, and a very cool coffee mug from a very cool son. I talked to my far-away children on the phone and got to eat strawberries and whipped cream. It was a delightful end to an amazing day.

I'll write more tomorrow, perhaps, but for now I head wearily upstairs...thankful, thankful, thankful.

1 comment:

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Thankful, thankful, thankful...

A day with His calligraphy scrawled all across it: You are loved! Always and regardless.

And welcome to this beautiful world, Levi Matthew...