Thursday, May 08, 2008

Thanking God for the...

82. trees all around my house that are now completely clothed in their summer foliage, still brilliant spring green, so full of life.
Trees give the garden its voice, murmuring in breezes, roaring in storms: their branches are choir stalls for the birds. -Carol Williams in Bringing a Garden to Life
I love Williams' words. This morning I heard the voice of my garden in the breeze as light rain and soft breezes murmured in the canopy. The other day, I stood on the top terrace, weeding, and heard its voice roar. I knew the wind was coming before I felt it, its arrival announced in the rustling of the trees as a gust of wind shook and sounded through the leaves before the oncoming storm. And, oh my yes, the bird choir from arboreal choir stalls sings joyous songs each morning. I am an eager and enthralled audience.
And God said, Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth. And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, palnts yielding seed according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. - Genesis 1:11-12
Yes, I am very thankful for the trees. At this season, fully leafed and verdant, they speak of abundance and grace, of sheltering and provision. God who made trees to be all of this, is himself the God of abundant grace and sheltering provision. Praise Him!

No comments: