Friday, May 30, 2008

Circling with grace

"She had always known a thousand ways to circle them all around with what must have seemed like grace. She knew a thousand songs. Her bread was tender and her jelly was tart, and on rainy days she made cookies and applesauce. In the summer she kept roses in a vase on the piano, huge pungent roses, and when the blooms ripened and the petals fells, she put them in a tall Chinese jar, with cloves and thyme and sticks of cinnamon. Her children slept under starched sheets under layers of quilts, and in the morning her curtains filled with light the way sails fill with wind." from the book Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

Today, I am tempted to scurry around like a crazy woman. There is a lot to do to get ready for Andrew's graduation party/cookout tonight. I often get frazzled in this type of situation and become a not very nice mother as I give sharp orders and frowningly rush around. Instead, I have purposed to look for ways to circle my boys with what, I hope, will feel like grace. Mom sets the tone, you know, and I am praying for ways to make it a sweet, hard-working, happy day with grace circles surrounding my helping boys.

No comments: