Monday, May 05, 2008
Birds of the air
Thanking God today for winged creatures...
77. The wood thrush whose "hauntingly beautiful" song I hear in the wee hours of the morning and through the day as he sings in the woods behind the house. Often heard, seldom seen.
78. The ruby throated hummingbird sipping nectar from fuschia azaleas.
79. The barred owl, who calls at night, "Who, who, whooo cooks for you?!" and who together with his mate cackles and caterwauls in the nearby oaks.
80. Baby bluebirds in the front garden box and their fragile cheeping as they await food from busy mama bird.
81. Carolina wrens, maybe my favorites, nesting in the garage again.