Monday, May 05, 2008

Another reason to plant more greens

Pond scum...er...green smoothies.

Thanks to Tonia's post back in March, I have been experimenting with green smoothies. Yes, they do look a bit like pond scum but the ingredients are far more appealing than algae, plankton, and muddy water. I am still trying various combinations but here are some of the ingredients I like to use:

some type of green (romaine or green leaf lettuce from the garden and spinach are my favorites but I've tried collards and chard)
apples
bananas
frozen berries
a little ground flax seed
water or apple juice
lemon juice
fresh mint from the garden.

I chop the greens and put them in the blender with the fruits, enough water to get it all spinning and some ice. Blend well and drink. If I have extra, I save it in the fridge for the next day. Several servings of fresh, raw fruits and veggies with all their nutrients in an easy, tasty drink. I'm hooked.

As the title says, this is another reason to grow more greens. It is very easy to plant lots of lettuce. Romaine is the most healthy. Spinach is also easy to grow in the spring and chard will go all through the summer. Kale and collards are also garden staples and I'll be planting more of them soon. Of course, mine are organic and much cheaper than buying organic greens at the store. And it is very satisfying to walk out the back door, pick a mess of greens and a handful of mint and create a tasty, nourishing drink. Very satisfying! Even Joel likes them...as long as they don't taste toooo green.

2 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

I love green smoothies! Delicious - especially when adding lots of cinnamon (my favorite). YUM!

Cheers :)

tonia said...

I'm glad to know you have been trying them! My kids and family are hooked. When my son went to his retreat a couple of weeks ago, the first thing he said to me when we picked him up was that he really wanted a green smoothie (clutching his stomach over the packaged, processed Sysco food he'd been eating.)

They really are addicting and they give you so much energy!