Tuesday, January 08, 2008

An Alphabet of Grace

I am about to finish The Summer of the Great Grandmother by Madeline L'Engle. I read the following yesterday morning. (Mado was Madeline L'Engle's great-grandmother).

"Did Mado ever have the sudden, intemperate rages which sometimes hit me, and which are produced by what seems completely inadequate cause?

She surely had reason for rage and resentment, and yet these are qualities which are never mentioned in regard to her. If they were there, she kept them to herself and healed them in her own way, with prayer. I have her battered Bible, which Mother had rebound for me. It was much read, much marked, and there are stains which came, I think, through private tears. Perhaps through it she will teach me an alphabet of grace. She had that spontaneous quality of aliveness which illuminates people who have already done a lot of their dying, and I think I am beginning to understand the truth of that."

4 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Mmmmmm.... is this your copy, and would you be willing to loan it out?

Beth said...

I'd be happy to lend it to you. It was a recent Book Buyers find!

Bonnie said...

I loved that book! Her Crosswick
Journals are excellent. In fact,
I'm a lover of her nonfiction more than her fiction!

Bonnie

Beth said...

Me,too, Bonnie. I read the Crosswicks books years ago and am kicking myself that I didn't buy the last two when I saw them at Book Buyers the other day.

We also love her story "A Full House" which we read every Christmas eve.