Saturday, December 22, 2007

Done!

If you have a high school senior, you know that this is application season. I am VERY HAPPY to report that my work on Andrew's applications is done! As a home school parent, there's a lot I have to write and compile in the college admissions process. This is now the fourth time I've put together a transcript complete with course descriptions, written the type of evaluation that a high school counselor would write, explained our reasons for home schooling and our methods of evaluation, and signed my name on numerous forms. It has gotten easier each time. Unlike our other three who have already gone through this process, Andrew is applying to more schools and applying to several schools that use the Common Application. I like the Common Application (thank you FU, DC, and WC). It makes my life easier since I only have to write everything once. He still has one essay to complete, but I'm finished...at least for another couple of years!

Here in honor of the application process are some real essay gaffes from the book, Essays That Will Get You Into College:
Mt. Elgon National Park is well known for its rich deposits of herds of elephants.

I've been a strong advocate of the abomination of drunk driving.

He was a modest man with an unbelievable ego.

The outdoors is two dimensional, challenging my physical and mental capabilities.

In the spring, people were literally exploding outside.

Playing the saxaphone lets me develop technique and skill which will help me in the future, since I would like to become a doctor.

For almost all involved in these stories, premature burial has had a negative effect on their lives.


It's good to have a few chuckles along the way. Andrew,and his proofreader are just hoping we haven't missed any wild gaffes in anything he's written so far!

No comments: