Friday, November 16, 2007

My Personal Crispani Chef

One of the benefits of having a son that works at Panera and who learned how to make crispani, a now discontinued menu item, is that I now have my own personal crispani chef! Oooooo, they were good!


Andrew, wearing one of Jonathan's old Lowe's Foods aprons, hard at work


Fresh crispani, hot from the oven!

Here's my improvisation with left-over dough the next morning. Triple berry, brown sugar, cinnamon breakfast crispani. It was really good, too. Now I'm thinking about how I can make and freeze dough in crispani sized portions so I can pull it out the night before to thaw and rise for a quick, delicious and special breakfast. Andrew tells me that all the dough at Panera is frozen, so I know it can be done. Any helpful hints?

3 comments:

Amber Benton said...

I haven't had any problems freezing dough if it's used fairly soon. I had a loaf or two of bread that went beyond the 3 week mark that didn't rise very well, but other than that I've had no problems. If you have it already rolled out I would thaw it in the fridge, but if it's still in a ball I might just let it sit out overnight...

Jen Unsell said...

I have never eaten at a Panera and never had crispani! It looks delicious and like something we would love! Will you share the recipe?

Beth said...

Jen,
It's just a regular home made pizza dough. I use the recipe from Joy of Cooking. Roll it out very thin and then top with a little tomato sauce and whatever else you like. We just used onions and cheese since we didn't have anything else, but I think it would be really good brushed with olive oil and then sprinkled with some fresh basil and a bit of fresh parmesan and a little mozzarella. Whatever you like on a pizza would be good on a crispani.